Saturday, March 20, 2010

Like a Child

I'm becoming more and more amazed at how meek, forgiving, and trusting young children are. Recently, I accidentally allowed Ked to be hurt in multiple ways: let him pull down some pots and pans on himself (mostly just scaring him), lightly kicked/stepped on him while he was underfoot in the kitchen, dropped his head onto the ground when he was about an inch from being placed there, etc. While he wasn't significantly hurt any of these times, they were all definitely upsetting. (And let me emphasize again that they were all accidents!)

Add to that the major battle I waged with him trying to get him to take the doctor-recommended prune juice from a medicine dropper, trying to get him to eat more green beans than he wanted, "attacking him" with a cloth trying to clean his nose and face multiple times when he really didn't want it, etc.

And yet just a few minutes after some of these incidents had passed, there Ked sat, staring intently at me with his bright eyes as I grated cheese, tapping his foot, smiling back at me when I'd smile at him. The scriptures often admonish us to be like little children. I think I'm understanding why a little more every day.

No comments: