A few weeks ago, I decided we should go through our 72 hour kits for our FHE activity. Neither of us were excited about it, but it actually turned out really fun/funny. Ked even loved it, because he had lots of new things to look at and explore as we pulled stuff out. We discovered some food we needed to rotate, Sam's pocket knife he'd thought was missing, and two of Sam's favorite sweatshirts that he'd spent hours looking for when we first moved here. Even I had spent quite a while looking for them. It was pretty funny, and it made us really happy. Simple pleasures! We also realized we needed to add some things for Ked, since we hadn't had him when we first put the kits together! Now our plan is to go through our emergency kits twice a year; before every General Conference. And snack on the yummy granola bars that would go bad soon otherwise. :)
Still working on our water and food storage. Besides being given counsel from church leaders to be self reliant and prepared for any potential emergency/natural disaster, I've seen how helpful it can be. My parents and sister's family have been told to evacuate their homes multiple times because of fires; I've experienced a fare share of earthquakes (and have heard how many who were prepared in Chile were able to take care of themselves and others immediately after the recent earthquake); had two sister's families who have been without power for a week or so at a time because of ice storms and hurricanes (and thus not had access to grocery stores, etc., either), and we were somewhat trapped multiple times this winter because of the snow. (Minor, but I could see how easily it could be worse.) With all the natural disasters you see all over, it's nice to have a little peace of mind. Oh, and let's not forget that I live in a complex that has their water turned off at random times. Once when I had just put shampoo in my hair.


No comments:
Post a Comment