Friday, January 1, 2010

Rhyming and Singing

Ever since Ked, I find myself rhyming nonstop as I talk to him. Sometimes cleverly; usually pathetically. (Now I know where the "Hush Little Baby" song comes from. Listen to it. It makes no sense, but it rhymes.) And every song I sing takes on new words. There are a fair amount of words that rhyme with "Ked" or "boy."

For the first few weeks, the song I was singing constantly was, "Wake up, little Kedrik [Susie], wake up!" as I was constantly trying to get him to take more than one suck before falling asleep at feeding time. And just trying to get him to wake enough to do even that.

Then came the days when I would beg him to sleep just a little longer. (Now when Sam says he's tired and he's going to "sleep like a baby," I give him a look and say, "You mean you're going to wake me every two to three hours?") I don't think I sang many songs then. My brain didn't function so well with all the interrupted sleep.

But now, on glorious mornings, somewhat frequently, I can sing, "Good morning, good morning, you slept the whole night through. Good morning, good morning--to you." (From Singin' in the Rain.) That is my favorite song to sing--when I get to sing it.

2 comments:

bethellen said...

That is so cute. Ked is so cute. I can't wait to meet him. And Amber, I love that haircut on you. It looks great! I love you!

Mar said...

gorgeous pics of your family, amber! love it! love the songs you sing too--too darn cutie patootie!