Monday, October 10, 2011

Provo Tabernacle Temple

I always love and look forward to General Conference, when all our Church leaders, true modern-day prophets and apostles, speak to us. I love that we can now watch it from home via the internet, making nursing, nap-time, and general child care much easier!

I loved that this October Ked actually enjoyed it as well! He liked to point out "prophet," "Monson" and "Uchtdorf." The best was when he started conducting the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. And he knew instinctively to fold his arms and be ready for the prayer when the song ended (as shown here). But then he'd get confused after an intermediate hymn, when they didn't pray after. :)
As always, I felt comforted, corrected, and directed by so many of the wonderful talks given. I could go on and on about that, but that's what my journal is for. ;)

I do have to mention, though, that I was absolutely exuberant when they announced that the old, recently burned down Provo Tabernacle would be re-built (leaving the outside the same) into a temple!
I took this picture from a friend's blog. She (living nearby) took this picture the day after the announcement. If you look closely, you can see I wasn't the only one excited about the announcement. I love this building. I loved the decade or so I was privileged to attend various meetings and functions in it's beautiful, beautiful interior that early pioneers had worked and sacrificed so much to build. Stake conferences, BYU graduations of friends and siblings, singing in a choir, firesides, Christmas programs (including a date with Sam when we were first married and got to pet a camel and other animals outside afterwards), etc. I was pretty heart broken when I heard about the whole interior being burned up. There is no way to regain what was previously there, but what better way to restore it than into a temple?!

Here's a rendering of what it will soon look like. I hope we can go through it someday. I'm always up for a trip back to one of my beloved homes!

1 comment:

MOM/Kandy said...

The last semester when I was single the Provo Tabernacle was where my ward met for Church and all related activities! An awesome place! I'm so happy it is going to be a temple!