Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day of Service

To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the LDS Church's Welfare Program (which I'm discovering more and more is pretty amazing!) all were asked to participate in a day of service.

I thought it was pretty cool too, that our Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell even proclaimed Sept. 24, 2011 to be our state's Day of Service, announcing, "2011 marks the 75th anniversary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' welfare program, an effort which has improved the lives of countless individuals in our Commonwealth, these United States, and throughout the world, and which should be a model to all organizations and faiths as we work together to build a true Commonwealth of Opportunity."
Sam and I debated whether to just have Sam go and really help, or to bring the whole family (both boys) and just kind of help. I'm glad we decided it should be a family event. Ked loved it, and Tyndale slept like a champ a good portion of the time, allowing us to participate a lot anyway.


I have to admit, ever since I first saw those Mormon Helping Hands yellow vests and t-shirts in Spanish and Portuguese (it started years ago in Latin America), I've always wanted a Mormon Helping Hands t-shirt. True, we weren't cleaning up after a major natural disaster or anything, but it was fun to work together and do a little something to improve our community. We did get the t-shirts too. . . just not until after it was over.


Ked loved working with the tools. And everyone was patient with him (and all the other kids) even though he was mostly in the way!

Sam and our friends from church mulching the trail at the nearby park.

Kid corner. Tyndale (in the middle) sleeping like a champ!
Sept. 24, 2011

2 comments:

Farmgirl said...

Love this! The picture with you and the wheelbarrow, really brings back memories. I always wanted to be tough and kind like you!

MOM/Kandy said...

We painted black metal fencing in Moorpark with this sticky, black paint. The wind was blowing and it twanged all over, including onto our bare arms and faces. Did you ever see the photos? ~ MOM