Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ked's First Tear

I don't know if this is common or not, but I had never seen Ked shed a single tear until today--at 14 months of age. I'd seen some moistness just around the eye occasionally, and a small amount of liquid gathering in the corner of the eye, but never a drop sliding down his cheek.

Ked was feasting on his pieces of tomato and peeled cucumber slice. (Somehow, very undeservingly, I produced a vegetable lover! I am very grateful this kid won't have to spend many long nights at the dinner table trying to not gag, staring and poking at the dreaded vegetables as I did!) Seemingly out of nowhere, he suddenly started to cry in agony. I'm assuming he bit down on his cucumber right where his swollen gum is working on a tooth. I knelt down beside him to comfort him, and was surprised to see the liquid in his eyes welling up. I commented to Sam that it almost looked like he might get a tear, and sure enough, one blink later, there it was! A beautiful little droplet sliding down his cheek, adding to the tender-heartedness I was already feeling towards my poor boy's suffering.

You probably can't see it in this small picture, but it's there. I'm guessing that since he's been teething today and already passing excessive amounts of liquid through his nasal and oral orifices, there was also an excessive amount of liquid readily available for his ocular channels. Thankfully, he was happy and content just moments later.

3 comments:

haley said...

Wow! First tear? 14 months! That's crazy. Mitch has been tearing up since day one. I can imagine the feelings you were having watching him tear up. Don't worry- those feelings will pass. I pretty much ignore Mitch now when he cries. just kidding!

Live, Laugh, and Play the Stewart Way said...

Ked is one tough cookie- Kaitlyn can produce tears on demand almost! :) It was so good to catch up on your blog. Ked looks like he is climbing all over the place! :)

MOM/Kandy said...

Gee, see how long it takes me to catch my children's blogs? I just have to laugh at all your adventures with Ked!

But "nasal, oral and ocular?" I think I see the science teacher coming out.
:)